[PVE][3.3.5] Resto Shaman guide by Linkingirl
Welcome to Linkingirl’s Resto Shaman guide for World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King 3.3.5a. In this guide, you will learn about playing a Resto Shaman in a raid. The guide includes Talents, Glyphs, Gems, Enchantments, BiS Gear, professions, Caps
To play as a shaman class is necessary to choose an orc, tauren, troll or draenei (alliance faction only) race. Every race has good race abilities, but for raids, draenei with +1% hit to raid aura and trolls with self buff berserker (+20% haste for 10sec, after core fix) are better than other races. Usually +1% hit is not so huge advantage and high “geared” shamans didn’t benefit so much from 20% for 10 sec extra haste (I will explain it later), as for me.
- Draenei have improved Jewelcrafting (+10, nice), some healing racial Gift of the Naaru, Heroic Presence (+1% hit) and resistance to Shadow damage (+2%). They are the best Elemental (PVP) shamans from Aliance for dueling and 2v2 arena.
- Trolls have improvement crit with bows (+1%) Bow Specialisation, haste buff (+20%) Berserking, Regeneration and reduced slowing effects (-15%) Da Voodoo Shuffle. Trolls are the best Marksman ( PVE/PVP) hunters, Resto and Elemental (PVE) shamans.
- Orcs have 15% time reduced on stun effects Hardiness (not fine in PVE) and good offensive abilities as Blood Fury = 163 Spell Power!!! and 322 Attack Power for 16 sec (2 min CD) @ lvl80 – it’s superb in any PVE; passive none useful for resto spec: increased dmg with pets (+5%) Command, increased expertise (+5) with Axes and Fist Weapons Axe Specialisation (superb for DK, enhancement shamans and hunters :)). Orcs are the best Frost/Unholy DK, Fury Warriors, Beastmaster hunters, Enhancement (PVP/PVE) and very good Elemental (PVE) shamans.
- Taurens have defensive racial only: increased HP points (+5%) from Endurance, Nature Resistance (+2%) is improved by Nature Resistance (in Northrend raids not so important; exception is the ICC Plagueworks encounter), Herbalism (hmm?) and Stomp – stuns all nearby NPC or pl characters (a “timeout” in PVP duels). They can be the best tanks from Horde as Warrior, Druid or DK class, Elemental (PVP) Horde shamans for dueling and 2v2 arena.
Talent tree and Glyphs
Glyph of Lesser Healing Wave
Glyph of Chain Heal
Glyph of Earth shield
Glyph of Water shield
Glyph of Renewed Life
Glyph of Water Walking
Resto Shaman “BiS” gear
Restoration shaman does NOT use total BiS gear. Here I will give you list of the most useful and frequently used items each of them can be your BiS depending on your judgment style of play, fight and feel how you will deal with a given situation.
Head: Sanctified Frost Witch’s Headpiece
Neck: Blood Queen’s Crimson Choker (BQL 25HC)
Holiday’s Grace (Festergut 25HC)
Shoulders: Sanctified Frost Witch’s Spaulders
Back: Cloak of Burning Dusk (Hallion 25HC)
Frostbinder’s Shredded Cape (VDW 25HC)
Chest: Sanctified Frost Witch’s Tunic
Wrist: Phaseshifter’s Bracers (Halion 25HC)
Bracers of Fiery Night (Halion 25HC)
Bloodsunder’s Bracers (Rotface 25HC)
Hands: Unclean Surgical Gloves (Festergut 25HC)
Belt: Split Shape Belt (Halion 25HC)
Crushing Coldwraith Belt (Lord Marrowgar 25HC)
Legs: Sanctified Frost Witch’s Legguards
Feet: Plague Scientist’s Boots (Festergut 25HC)
Boots of Divided Being (Halion 10HC)
Earthsoul Boots (Leatherworking)
Finger: Ashen Band of Endless Wisdom – Reputation Reward
Ring of Rapid Ascent (Gunship Battle 25HC)
Ring of Phased Regeneration (Halion 25HC)
Marrowgar’s Frigid Eye (Lord Marrowgar 25HC)
Trinkets: Glowing Twilight Scale (Halion 25HC)
Solace of the Fallen HC – (TOC 25HC)
Solace of the Fallen N (TOC 25N)
Althor’s Abacus (Gunship Battle 25HC)
Weapon: Royal Scepter of Terenas II (Lich King 25HC)
Trauma (Rotface 25HC)
Val’anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings (Quest Reward in ULDUAR)
Shield: Bulwark of Smouldering Steel (Lord Marrowgar 25HC)
Relic: Totem of the Surging Sea (EOF Reward)
Totem of Calming Tides (EOT Reward)
Head: +30 spellpower +20 critical strike (Kirin tor quartmaster) or +30 spellpower and +10 mana per 5 seconds (wyrmrest accord quartmaster)
Shoulders: +18 spellpower +10 critical strike or +18 spellpower +5 mana per 5 seconds (both are from Sons of Hodir quartmaster)
Cloak: No doubt +23 Haste enchant
Chest: There is 3 enchants for chest that would work very fine +10 all stats, +275 mana or +10 mana per 5 seconds your choice really
Bracers: No discussion 30 spellpower
Hands: Same as bracers, no argue with 28 spellpower
Waist: Eternal Belt Buckle for additional Socket
Legs: Brilliant Spellthread +50 Spellpower and + 20 Spirit
Feets: Ok i would go here for weird enchant cuz,there is no resto shamana feet enchant available,so i would go for Icewakler (+12 Hit and +12 Critical Strike), it will add additional Critical Strike,hit is uselesss indeed,but 12 crit>22 spirit>22 stamina>15 stamina+speed
Weapon: +63 Spellpower only one worthy
Shield: +25 Intellect
Restoration shaman collects important for him stats at directly increasing productivity or help his mana survival. Which of these is the priority depends on the encounter, way of playing and a sense of what actually you and your raid need for the moment. For some fights you will need more Spell Power for other more Haste raiting for third more Critical strike raiting or even more Mana Regen.
1. Haste raiting – Spell Haste reduces the global cooldown to as little as 1 second. No amount of haste including Bloodlust/Heroism will lower the global cooldown below 1 second. The soft haste cap for resto shamans is 1269 haste rating (38.7%). This is the amount of haste what you need to reduce cast time of your Lesser Healing Wave to 1s. (including Wrath of Air Totem and Improved Moonkin Form or Swift Retribution). 1% Spell Haste = 32.786885 Haste Rating at Level 80. 1% haste means you will cast 1 additional spell in the time it would normally take to cast 100 spells. You do NOT cast 1% faster. With how much haste raiting you will play depends on you. Anyway, whatever style of game you prefer not advise you to leave with haste raiting above 1400.
2. Spell power – As more you have more your spells will heal. Your main stats for increasing of amount of your healing spells.
3. Critical strike raiting – Critical strike raiting not only increases your chance to critically hit with some of your healing spells but also increases your chance to return mana via Improved Water Shield talent, also increase your chance to proc your Ancestral Awakening talent and also improves your chance of 4pT10 via Chain Heal. 50%+ including raid buffs is good amount of number.
4. Mana regen – Mp5s is good stats for mana return but with your progressive gearing, the critical will become a better stats for mana return than Mp5s. Anyway 400-500 mp5s while casting is good amount of number. Some longer fights like Lich King and some mana wasted fights like Halion in Shadow Realm required even more, but the best option would be to replace some items with mp5s instead of putting sockets for it. Don’t gem Mp5s if you are with higher gear score. Low gear shamans will see more benefit from mp5s. It gives too little value and not worth wasting it more important for you stats.
NOTE – The good Restoration shaman always calculated stats based on his experience and encounter. So as to fights as Lich King you will need more Spell Power, Mp5s and critical and not so much Haste, as Halion in Fire Realm you will need more Spell Power and Critical and not so much Haste and Mp5s, as Halion in Shadow Realm depends on what is your partner, if you are mainly tank healer inside you will need more Spell Power and Critical or Mp5s, if you are mainly raid healer you will need more Haste and Mp5s. On VDW again depends what is your role, if you are boss healer outside you will need max Spell Power and mana survive via critical and Mp5s even Glyph of Mana Tide Totem will help you a lot, if you are raid healer you can try with some balance stats. For encounters like LDW, Rotface, BQL, partly Marrowgar and Sindragosa you will need more Haste. These are just simple examples of how smart, how flexible and rounded is Restoration shaman.
Well, now I will talk something that some players would not agree, but I’m not the only one that thinks this way:
ALWAYS, gem +20 haste (Quick King’s Amber) in all socket pockets. Only exception is Meta gem and the gems necessary to activate the Meta gem (1 blue gem and 1 red gem)
Meta: +21 Critical Strike and chance to restore mana on spellcast (Insightful Earthsiege Diamond)
1 Blue Socket: 10 Haste +5 Mana per 5 secs (Energized Eye of Zul)
1 Red Socket: 12 Spellpower 10 Haste (Reckless Ametrine)
I’ll try to update this guide with more info, in the furure
I’ll appreciate the feedback