[PVE][3.3.5] Elemental Shaman Guide
The purpose of this guide is to show you an optional path for elemental shaman’s gameplay. I just focused on FAQ people asked to me, I saw in “global” chat, on WEB forums and on other themes, which are “bad” explained overall the Internet (most of the internet content is focused on current Blizzard’s wow expansion).
This guide as any other guide should contain all aspects about described object.
On Warmane server there are available 3 expansions of WoW: WotLK (3.3.5a), Cataclysm (4.3.4) and MoP (5.4.2). You can create an account per each realm, but patch 3.3.5 is more fixed , both in PVE and PVP “area”. Moreover, as my opinion, WotLK world is more interesting and keeps the spirit of all previous WoW series (even arcade series). The Blizzard started to transform WoW into some neutral PVP MMORPG mostly like a gigant Counter Strike, beginning from Cata. But in MoP it’s some new WoW breath, and Legion keeps the wow mystery and adventuring spirit again, I should to admit. Warmane WotLK world is quite fixed (I already finished It’s Over Nine Thousand! and Loremaster achievements): you can complete all class quests, you are able to complete over 3000 quests per faction, for those who wanna doing something different between raiding there is available near 99% of achievement events. Among private servers the Warmane has the best fixes to Eye of Eternity, Naxxramas, Ulduar, Obsidian Sanctum, Ulduar, Trial of the Crusader, Icecrown Citadel and Ruby Sanctum encounters. The battlegrounds also were scripted like on retail.
What is restricted?
WARNING! The Anti-Cheat system is not ideal anyway. I saw that most of them were used different “speed-cheats” (to farm), “fishing-bot” (to farm) and some very annoying PVP cheats (I didn’t screened them anyway), during my gameplay. Sadly, current Warmane Anti-Cheat system is vulnerably against different “speed-cheats” mostly. PVP cheaters using some kind of “damage improvements” and “resilience ignore hacks” cheats, which are very hard to detect, because they can show as a game bug. Somehow I was struck by such kind of cheaters – I lost 20,000 HP from a few debuffs and a DoT, considering my 1380 Resilience + Skeleton Key + Elemental Warding (6% dmg reduction)!!! Another kind of cheaters are Scammers (including Ninjas). They using some trading interface bugs to cheat somebody: Don’t trust when a character, under level 20, is trying to sell some very expensive items: Primordial Saronite, items ilvl264 e.t.c. Looks like he is a temporary ALT (under a different accounts either) for some dedicated player, for such purpose (he does not care for ban). Most of them using some Bag Addons, which can be a cause for such cheats (many addons generates some UI errors which gives to standart WoW interfaces some security bugs). Try to use C.O.D. system or AH better, because they are more protected under server database transactions. You should be careful for more leveled players also. Another kind of cheats is Exploiting and they are absolutely restricted, – raid ID, bosses and arena exploiting (wintrading). You can be banned forever for such cheats. During my gameplay I was a witness when a raid firstly and an entire guild secondly was banned forever after such tricks. My verdict: DON’T USE ANY CHEATS, because they are the best “killers” for any online-game. Do you want to play WoW in a community of 4000 players or you want to cheat each others in a “gang party” of 50 players (good examples are Counter Strike private servers 😉 )?.
Leveling and gearing
You can equip your character instantly throught donating system by gaining coins (read on site more detailed) or throught vote points system (is a long term path). Vote points gives you access to gear lvl 264 (NO BoE INCLUDED). Coins gives to you access to BiS (best in slot) items lvl 277-284 and to questions – what to equip?:)
- Lordaeron x1: Blizzlike mode; no coins or points marketplace.
- Icecrown x7: Coins and points marketplace available; reputation gaining is set to x3 rating.
- Blackrock x7: PVP only.
Shaman’s available races
First of all you have to choose a gender of your class while creating a new character. You can choose freely. Remember that wow is a MMORPG game and if you like “poly-t i t s” then get a female character. (I choose male)
To play as a shaman class is necessary to choose an orc, tauren, troll or draenei (alliance faction only) race. Every race has good race abilities, but for raids, draenei with +1% hit to raid aura and trolls with self buff berserker (+20% haste for 10sec, after core fix) are better than other races. Usually +1% hit is not so huge advantage and high “geared” ele shamans didn’t benefit so much from 20% for 10 sec extra haste (I will explain it later), as for me.
- Draenei have improved Jewelcrafting (+10, nice), some healing racial Gift of the Naaru, Heroic Presence (+1% hit) and resistance to Shadow damage (+2%). They are the best Elemental (PVP) shamans from Aliance for dueling and 2v2 arena.
- Trolls have improvement crit with bows (+1%) Bow Specialisation, haste buff (+20%) Berserking, Regeneration and reduced slowing effects (-15%) Da Voodoo Shuffle. Trolls are the best Marksman ( PVE/PVP) hunters, Elemental (PVE) shamans.
- Orcs have 15% time reduced on stun effects Hardiness (not fine in PVE) and good offensive abilities as Blood Fury = 163 Spell Power!!! and 322 Attack Power for 16 sec (2 min CD) @ lvl80 – it’s superb in any PVE; passive none useful for elemental spec: increased dmg with pets (+5%) Command, increased expertise (+5) with Axes and Fist Weapons Axe Specialisation (superb for DK, enhancement shamans and hunters :)). Orcs are the best Frost/Unholy DK, Fury Warriors, Beastmaster hunters, Enhancement (PVP/PVE) and very good Elemental (PVE) shamans.
- Taurens have defensive racial only: increased HP points (+5%) from Endurance, Nature Resistance (+2%) is improved by Nature Resistance (in Northrend raids not so important; exception is the ICC Plagueworks encounter), Herbalism (hmm?) and Stomp – stuns all nearby NPC or pl characters (a “timeout” in PVP duels). They can be the best tanks from Horde as Warrior, Druid or DK class, Elemental (PVP) Horde shamans for dueling and 2v2 arena.
I play as a Troll since I manly play PVE
Urban WoW Dictionary
- Pull – an attack strike to aggro a NPC;
- Lol – laugh (everyone use it at any reason);
- Omg – Oh my God, lol, lmfao e.t.c. You gone mad, dude…;
- IDK – I don’t know (very common term outside the ICC);
- Nab, noob – new player to wow, a player that didn’t know some PVP or PVE tactic, what? Where? When?;
- LF – looking for… (party, raid);
- WTB – want to buy…;
- WTS – want to sell …;
- Fu – #$%#@% you;
- DC – disconnected from server, WoW crashed;
- AFK – away from keyboard;
- Buff – player should use some useful spell and aura on all or specified characters in raid;
- Pug – to create a raid with random players;
- Imba – imbalanced character based on his talents, gear items, gems and applied enchants;
- LM (loot master) – a player who receive boss items and roll them between raid characters, based on roll system;
- RM (raid master) – a player who is a raid organizer (usually a very skilled player in PVE encounters);
- GM – guild master or game master (administrator);
- MT – main tank (mDPS with exceptional defensive skills and inceased stamina);
- OT (Off tank) – supporting tank for boss trashes or dangerous boss abilities;
- Dmg – damage (the basic raid term). It can be physical (direct and from bleed), magic (nature, fire, arcane, shadow, frost and holy), from fall, fatigue;
- DPS – Damage per Second, a character which doing damage in raids;
- rDPS – a ranged DPS character: casters(doing spell dmg), hunters (doing physical dmg + some magic and toxic dmg);
- mDPS – a melee DPS character: pure melee (warriors, rogues), mixed melee (enhancement shamans, paladins) – half of their DPS is magic;
- Healer – a character, who should only heal, cleanse or dispel raid party;
- MS – main character spec;
- OS – off character spec;
- Ninja – a player who is a loot master or is able to loot bosses (bug) and after this steals all gear, even if he is not eligible for that gear. Ninja’s purpose is to steal rare dropped items without roll or DKP system or to sell stolen items on AH or some… Ninja can “appear” if an item, marked as “binds on equipped”, is dropped. Mostly you can determine a ninja among raid players if some of them stay near Saurfang’s chest, if they are not loot masters or raid masters, to one purpose – to get loot before LM :). VOA and ICC are instances where ninja practice is popular. Most of ninja is in none guild raids;
- Spec – active talent tree;
- Aggro – take NPC target to you;
- GBoK – Greater Blessing of Kings paladin buff;
- GBoS – Greater Blessing of Strength paladin buff;
- GBoW – Greater Blessing of Wisdom paladin buff;
- HoP – Hand of Protection paladin buff;
- RC – Raid Call or Ready Check;
- Roll – a vote system to get an eligible loot after boss drops it (practiced in none guild raids). Use raid cheat for rolling and type “/roll”. A player who have greater roll value (max is 100%) will take the item. Roll system can be “Main Spec” – high priority in voting, or “Off Spec” – a voting mode, if nobody want the item in main spec;
- DKP – new dedicated vote system to loot bosses, organized by RM or LM. Through raid experience you will receive dkp points. You can spend points to take the eligible loot only. Most active players have more points and greater chance to get some item(s). There are few rulers – high priority to get items have tanks and healers, at the same voted points the item get a player, who first had voted;
- FoS – The Forge of Souls dungeon;
- PoS – The Pit of Saron dungeon;
- HoR – The Halls of Reflection dungeon;
- ICC – The Icecrown Citadel instance;
- ToC – The Trial of the Crusader instance;
- RS – The Ruby Sanctum instance;
- OS – The Obsidian Sanctum instance;
- VoA – The Vault of Archavon instance;
- OL – The Onyxia’s Lair instance;
WoW and PVP terms:
- NPC, trash – a mob (character) managed by game server with programmed and scripted actions over time;
- Tier – armor set with additional passive abilities. T10 require items level 264. T10.5 – items level 277, 284 (Heroic).
- Hi-end – a skilled player with well geared character T10 (Item level over 264) and additional items which not belongs to armor set;
- Grinding – killing low level trashes which not give any XP reputation; killing NPC to increase some skill, defense, reputation or to farm some item or recipe;
- Farming – gathering some herbs, or ore from veins; fishing; cooking; hunting for skinning; killing NPC for items and recipe…
- BiS – Best in Slot item for specified class and spec;
- Premade – a well geared character or BiS geared throught Vote system or Marketplace;
- Trolling – chat style to mock, ridicule, slander somebody or something;
- Overcapped – large sense term. A character with full stack of types of spells, which: healing, defense (absorb damage, immune, damage reduction), two or more types of CC, stacked DoTs , debuffs, high mana or energy regeneration, stealth or invisibility abilities e.t.c. Nice examples are Frost Mages(with some arcane talent points), Hunters, Paladins. In MoP patch every class are overcapped mostly(for example, hunters and locks have spells like ele shaman’s Thunderstorm effect; shamans can drop Grounding Totem with spell reflection effect like warroris Spell Reflection Shield). It’s not so cool, as for me (a hunter with knockback ability, OMG);
- Overpowered – a class character (+spec) with some extra “unbalanced” abilities which increasing their damage, haste, crit rating or defense. The terminology is mostly useful in PVP area. It’s very hard to defeat an overpowered nab in PVP anyway.
- Bug – some error, wrong logic or effect in game program;
- DD – Direct Damage;
- DoT – Damage over Time;
- Channeling – spell which should be channeled over time;
- AoE – Area of Effect spell/damage;
- CD – cooldown of spell/ability;
- GCD – Global Cooldown of user interface panel;
- Ganking – is a “surprise attack” from hi-end geared and skilled PVP player character (just an ambush) against nabs, low level characters e.t.c. Targets have no chance to win. In WoW this term is associated with 2vs1, 3vs1, 3vs2, 4vs2 e.t.c. in PVP fights. Most players watched Bajheera BG style on YouTube (when a plate wearer, surrounded by 1 or 2 healers retinue, conquer bases) and trying to repeat it everywhere :). This company is very hard to defeat. Against skilled plate wearer and 2 healers you need about 4 or 7 DPS classes, @ same level and gear set, to overcome that healing. The best ganking places on Molten WoW are: Tarren Mill, Grom’Gol, Booty Bay, Thalanaar, Gadgetzan, Thrallmar, Honor Hold, Nesingwary Base Camp, VOA entrance and ICC entrance.
- GearScore(GS) – a point system, widely used on Molten realms mostly. On other WoW private servers GS didn’t work or are not applied (I just tested it on my own private server and on a few Internet private servers).
Elemental Shaman leveling
Realms leveling difference
The best way to level up is to donate some money to Warmane and get 20 coins for instant level 80 through site interface. If you have coins to instant leveling, create a character on Icecrown (x7) realm better (WotLK). This way is good because you’ll receive Premium account also, which will let you pass the queue, especially during weekends. Icecrown is highly populated realm. During weekends and evening time it reaches the maximum population of 12000 characters online. This leveling guide is designed for x1 Realm type mostly. On Icecrown (x7) you will find a lot of low level characters and multiboxing (one player plays as 5 characters, for example) party which just farm their levels. Cross realm transfers works no more, so choose carefully what kind of game you want to play.
If you wanna level up through game play and XP points, then next advices should be useful. Because you can find a lot of players who knows a lot about ICC raids, but they have no idea where Badlands or Exodar is situated. Playing between gloomy ICC walls only, transforms WoW into something boring for you, but World Wide game play, new discovering, should add some colors to it. World Events achievements are very nice theme for it. Usually mature players will chose “coins” play methods just to instant level up to be able to make some raids with friends, because a part of them already leveled on Blizz retail years ago. Traditional leveling is more familiar to teenagers, which can spend decent ingame time after school.
Elemental shaman problems during leveling
To level up an elemental shaman can be very hard below level 60, on PVP servers especially. The LB cast time is so long and CL is not a spell which you’ll like to use to do world quests. Ele shamans below level 60 are weak enough, without useful offensive and especially defensive abilities. I recommend you to develop enhancement spec tree (which is very strong at those levels) to get level 60, where Thunderstorm become available. Moreover, “elementals” suffer catastrophically from mana drains through spell casting below lvl60. For example, Hex (defensive spell) is available at level 75 only; Glyph of Stonecalw Totem (puts an absorb shield (under 6k absorb on lv3) on you x4 which Stoneclaw Totem puts on your totems) requires level 15 – ok, but it cost from 200 to 450 gold coins on AH mostly, and you are at level 15 lmfao (you can get this glyph through Inscription profession, but you will get level 70 faster then will discover this one); In WOWWIKI Thunderstorm (defensive spell) is marked as “Require level 10” and this is fu-king awesome (THIS IS A CASE WHY I DECIDED TO MAKE THIS GUIDE, BECAUSE INTERNET IS FULL WITH SAME ADVICES), because to use Thunderstorm you need 50 points in Elemental Talents tree, which only available on level 60.
The detailed leveling guide: [Wotlk] The Guide for Optimal Character Leveling
Now is the time to start next step of leveling, more harder, – “Gear Leveling”. About it is explained below…
Elemental shaman’s concept below lvl 60:
Vanilla WoW was only PVE and designed under old WoW arcade style: Reign of Haos and Frozen Throne. There basic DPS classes were warriors, paladins, hunters, partially mages. Shamans, druids was supporting units to buff, heal and dispel hostile debuffs. For any PVP game type ele shamans have no any effective spells below lvl60. Just in patch 1.2.1 Blizzard introduced BG and PVP system into WoW MMORPG, and made some fixes into classes spell books. In patch 2.1 TBC was introduced arena system and new abilities e.t.c. Because elemental shamans have not good defensive spells and abilities it is still hard to level up in PVE area also, below level 60.
Elemental Shaman Professions
In this paragraph I will focus all attention on the most profitable professions and on usefulness professions for elemental shaman during leveling. First of all you should collect money as much as possible for training, mounts, to buy items from Auction House e.t.c. In paragraph 2.6 New Ele Profession Topic, will be explained which professions are the best to increase DPS (less profitable variant) and their comparison. But first of all I should make an introduction into enough complex WoW profession hierarchy (professions are one of the best “idea” in the WoW gameplay, which makes superb conditions for trading in game) in “spoiler section”. Moreover, you can make a decision which profession is better for you ;)).
The most profitable professions
1. Jewelcrafting. This profession is the most profitable and the most useful for any stat buffs. Nothing different to get skill level of 450 comparing to the other professions, but epic gem recipes (in Northrend) discovering (@skill lvl450) are the hardest among all professions them. You should to focus on next recipes first: Runed Cardinal Ruby, Reckless Ametrine, Vivid Eye of Zul or Glowing Dreadstone, Runed Dragon’s Eye, Rigid Dragon’s Eye, Stormy Majestic Zircon, Bright Cardinal Ruby, Fractured Cardinal Ruby. To socket your gear and to sell them on AH or through C.O.D. system. You can sell epic gems for 900-999 gold per item on AH mostly.
Basics of jewelcrafting profiteering:
- Crafting to disenchant. This is useful if your second Primary profession is Enchanting or you have an ALT with Enchanting profession. For example, the Stone guard band and the Shadow might ring have great disenchanting levels for the price it costs to craft them, especially if the market for buying Eternal Earth and Eternal Shadow in bulk is low on your server. Other lower level items such as the Sun rock ring, Crystal citrine neck and Crystal chalcedony amulet are very inexpensive especially if you are also prospecting because you will have heaps of uncommon gems to use. Determing which of these items to craft will obviously be based on the material costs on your server.
- Prospecting. Prospecting is an awesome way to make gold. You buy saronite and cobalt ore and break it up into gems using prospecting (uses 5 ore per operation). You then scan the auction house (AH) and look for the best items to cut. The profit margins are usually between 150%-300%. One thing to note and watch out for is to make sure your server can support the constant influx of gems you provide. If it can, just keep buying ore and breaking it up. On Molten AH ore can be very expensive, so use your mining skills and farm ‘em.
- Buy uncut gems to cut. Look on the AH for cheap uncut gems. For example, I normally check out Cardinal Rubies and if the price is right compared to cuts such as Bright, Delicate, Fractured or Runed cardinal rubies, I’ll purchase a few and normally make between 120-140 gold per cut once sold on the auction house.
- Jewelcrafting as a service. Similarly to enchanting, if you have a large number of jewelcrafting recipes than you can offer your services in a capital city to generate easy revenue. Just use your Trade interface.
2. Alchemy. This profession can help a lot through leveling with cheap potion and elixir buffs. This profession is fixed, so your potion buffs have double working time, improved effects. You can be surprised how profitable this profession can be @lvl80, making Northrend potions. The Northrend recipes discovering are fast enough. I should to admit – there are impossible to make money with Alchemy without Herbalism, on Warmane WoW. I started my gameplay with this profession and I was surprised when I began to earn 20,000 – 30,000 gold per week, with only less than 35 minutes of farming per day.
Basics of alchemy profiteering:
- Brew “Flask” potions. These provide relatively basic, but vital buffs over a very long period of time. Flasks’ effects also persist through death (this is why most players like them), but only one can be active at any given time. Flasks increase primary stats – strength, agility, intellect, spirit, or stamina. The best flasks are: Flask of the Frost Wyrm.
- Brew “Elixirs” and “Potions”. Try Elixir of Lightning Speed, Elixir of Deadly Strikes, Spellpower Elixir(!), Potion of Wild Magic and Potion of Speed.
- Use Pigmy Oil Spell. The ingredient for this oil is Pygmy Suckerfish, obtained from Northrend fishing holes. Alchemy is the only one method to transform it in something useful. After that, use another alchemy spell – Guru’s Elixir (1xImbued Vial and 3xPygmy Oil). In such manner you can brew dozens of stacks of Guru’s Elixir per hour (Somehow I made 75 stacks :0). The price of this elixir is 30-40 gold on AH (600-800 gold per stack), as the most attractive price. This elixir’s buff (+20 to all base stats) with “Enchant Chest – Powerful Stats” (+10) will give the effect as an additional item equipped, below ilevel 245 (just superb for druids, DK, paladins and rogues for Worldwide events).
- Alchemy as a service. This is Transmute:Titanium of course. You can offer this service through “global” or “trade” chat (don’t be a scammer). Get 20-30 gold per transmutation. You can buy a lot of Saronit Bars and transmute them into titanium for sale, if Saronite price is convenient
3. Enchanting. Enchanting is, perhaps, the only profession in WoW that cannot be categorized, as it is neither crafting, nor gathering. Enchanters take enchanting materials obtained through disenchanting gear of uncommon or better quality – and turn them into permanent enchants for their own or their allies’ gear. This is the reason to use with enchanting another none Gathering profession like Jewelcrafting, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking or Tailoring.
Basics of enchanting profiteering:
- Disenchanting. Disenchanting is an awesome way to make alot of gold and falls under 3 catgories: Disenchanting own gear (This includes all unused gear that you pick up from quests, farming, running dungeons and raids), Purchasing items to disenchant (Items that I normally look for include armor and weapons from level 73 for the highest profit margins), Crafting items to disenchant (This is where enchanting works great with jewelcrafting. For example a jewelcrafter can make inexpensive stone guard bands, disenchant them and make anywhere between 55-75 gold depending on the server economy. Jewelcrafters have a lot of items that can be crafted very cheaply in order to make a proft from disenchanting).
- Enchanting as a service. To take full advantage of this profession as a service you will want to have as many of the enchanting formulas as possible. This will keep players coming back to you to get their gear enchants and more importantly keep you making gold. The best part is most of the rare enchants can now be purchased for dream shards in Dalaran or acquired via reputations. Every time you are in a major city, link your enchanting service on the trade channel while you go about doing your daily routine. You will usually be able to pick up some extra gold by pretty much doing nothing.
- Selling enchants. Discover different formulas and put “consumable scrolls” on AH. For common enchanting versus you will make about 400-700 gold, for uncommon – 1000 – 2500 gold per item.
4. Others.They are not so profitable, but can help your character, as an elemental shaman, through leveling or will give you some very good epics @lvl80, without much money costs.
- The Inscription maybe is the best one profession among them (especially if you decided to get “the Insane” title). With Inscription you can level up your Herbalism skill and after that (@lvl80) you can switch fast enough to Alchemy. Moreover you will have access to a lot of cheapest glyphs for personal use or trading. But more interesting things for elemental shamans, are next: Master’s Inscription of the Storm (+70 Spell Power and +15 Crit to the shoulder slot), Darkmoon card of the North. Darkmoon Cards give you access to your spec trinkets: Darkmoon Card: Illusion and Darkmoon Card: Death. To purchase them from AH you should spend about 20,000 gold per trinket (40k in summ). These trinkets should be nice decision, before you will be able to do some TOC or ICC raids (require over 5.3kGS), being at your “start” Northrend GearSet of 2kGS mostly.
- The Leatherworking is another useful profession to level up an elemental shaman. You can find a lot of patterns here. Most of them are valuable for druids, hunters, and enhancement shamans anyway. Ele shamans should use Dragonscale Breastplate, Green Dragonscale set, Blue Dragonscale set, Netherstrike set and other green items during leveling. In Northrend leatherworkers should to teach patterns for: different Kit, Enchants and Bags (bags AH’s prices are 2000-2500 gold). They can give you some start capital. In Dalaran get all Braeg Stoutbeard’s patterns (rare ilvl187-200 and epic ilvl200-213), because they are easy enough to craft. During your ICC adventures buy all Alchemist Finklestein’s patterns – they can give you a lot of money. For elemental shamans the best gear below 6kGS, which is crafted by leatherworkers, are: Earthsoul Boots (Feet slot ilvl264) and Lightning-Infused Leggings (Legs slot ilvl264)… Get them as fast as possible. Without this profession you should buy them for summary price of 40,000-45,000 gold on Molten WoW anyway.
- The Blacksmithing and Tailoring are the same as the Leatherworking profession, but without useful crafted items for ele shamans. The blacksmith’s mail have no any Intellect or Spell Power to their attributes. The tailor’s Cloth have very low armor and are enchanted with Spirit and Critical Rating mostly (this is not good for ele shamans also).
- The Engineering profession is the most non-profitable, but is the most useful for any casters (especially for ele shamans) and hunters to increase their DPS. About engineering is described in paragraph 2.6. New Ele Profession Topic more detailed.
Conclusion. In this paragraph I focused description not only on “profitable topic”, but on usefulness for ele shamans also. The most profitable “profession company” are: Jewelcrafting + Enchanting, Jewelcrafting + Tailoring, Enchanter + Tailoring, Alchemy + Herbalism + Fishing, Jewelcrafting + Mining, Enchanting + Blacksmithing (@lvl80 mostly). They will help you to collect the max possible amount of money per time interval.
My Verdict: Don’t learn both crafting professions Blacksmithing, Tailoring, Enchanting or Engineering during leveling, because they are hard to level up or near impossible without AH (with a lot of patterns/schematics) and they don’t give any benefits to ele shaman at low levels; soon or later you should to switch to Jewelcrafting/Tailoring, Jewelcrafting/Engineering or Tailoring/Engineering anyway. At some moment the money will not be so important. You will be interested into things how to improve your DPS and gear after that, by spending a part of money on the other profession skill’s leveling, after unlearn one of Gathering one.
Elemental Shaman talent tree
I am going to explain not only pure PVE Talent Tree, but Mixed talents also. Mixed Talent tree can be useful if your character GS is under 6k (under 3100 Spell Power mostly) and you want to do some PVE raids, in normal mode, and Battlegrounds just for fun or to collect some points for more epic mounts and epic gear (rings, trinkets, necks, belt, cloak). Having Mixed Tree in Main Spec you can use Resto Tree in your Off Spec sheet. This mode is useful below 6kGS, because elemental shamans are not so good DPS spec at that point, and RM will ask you to switch to your character Resto Tree during BQL and The Frostwing Halls encounters mostly. Mixed tree mode can be effective enough vs. most casters of your GS level (with average PVP skills 😉 ), but vs. any kind of melee is weak enough in PVP area. If your GS is over 6k (over 3900 Spell Power) then your character will give more benefits from any PVE talent points, so this is the point where pure “specialization” is required. This specialization case is required in any Heroic raid, being a PVE caster, or in arenas and duels, being a PVP caster. Any Talent Tree should be supported by specified Glyphs, as the supplementing part. To built and study talent tree exists a very useful online resource.
1. PVE Elemental Shaman Spec Tree 3.3.5. Mode 55/16/0. I have found a very interesting and simple guide in Web about Elemental DPS Talent Build, posted by TheWoWcrafters. I am absolutely agreed about Major Glyphs he used there, but some talent points are not so superb, as for me. There is one talent point in Shamanistic Focus and 2 points in Booming Echoes. Described talents are pure PVP kind and any PVE shaman has no benefits from them. If you going to put Shock Spells in your DPS rotation (and even frequent Chain Lightning), then your character will be the worst DPS spec in WoW. Shock spells are instant, but they are very low improved by Spell Power and other talents (designed for PVP only). Moreover, they will lock Global Cooldown (GCD) for 1 sec (min). Opposite, the Lightning Bolt is more effective, because gets more benefits from Spell Power and during GCD you have a chance to cast additional bolt (with 12k dmg crit @6kGS, compared to 5k dmg crit of most shocks), based on talent Lightning Overload. That guide is fine, but last 3 talent points are not spent in right mode anyway. In the end we can put them in Elemental Warding, Improved Fire Nova, Improved Ghost Wolf and Improved Shields. The Elemental Warding and Improved Ghost Wolf talents belongs to defensive ones (improved wolf is useful at Sindragosa encounter only). The Improved Fire Nova is fine against trashes, during clearing, but against a boss is not so cool – Elemental should keep Totem of Wrath up all time! Moreover, Elementals are not so good AoE DPSers as Mages, Retribution Paladins, Moonkins, Rogues. So, I recommend putting last 3 talent points into Improved Shields talent. With this talent active and 3800 Spell Power available the Lightning Shield self buff damage is near 2000, but with raid buffs – 3000-3500 dmg. This is average shock spell damage without any GCD, – just amazing. It doing the effect of an additional DoT on Boss after Flame Shock DoT, and during 10min boss encounter shield damage is huge enough. Just try to find out how and where to refresh it without spell rotation interrupting. Don’t care about mana regeneration anyway from Water Shield, because your buffed character should have between 30k – 33k mana and improved water shield will give an additional 100 mana per 5 sec with 400 +15% mana when orb is consumed (460) , if mana gone low by activating them, + 10% from “ALL mana” regeneration after Thunderstorm (avg = 3100 mana). It is now clear that next Minor Glyphs should be applied: Glyph of Water Shield, Glyph of Thunderstorm (because nobody wanna see a flying Shambling Horror in your raid; +2% mana regeneration is good of course). This is much better then Shamanistic Focus and Booming Echoes anyway.
- Glyph of Lava;
- Glyph of Lightning Bolt;
- Glyph of Totem of Wrath.
- Glyph of Renewed Life;
- Glyph of Thunderstorm;
- Glyph of Water Shield.
2. PVP&PVE (mixed) Elemental Shaman Spec Tree 3.3.5. Mode 57/14/0.. This tree is similar to previous, but some points in Elemental section are transferred to Booming Echoes and Astral Shift. In the Enhancement section points from Improved Shields, 2 points from Ancestral Knowledge and 2 points from Thundering Strikes should be applied to Earth’s Grasp, Improved Ghost Wolf and Shamanistic Focus now. In this mode ele shaman’s DPS will not suffer so huge, but will give enough survivable abilities in PVP sphere. Doing raids with mixed talents it’s important to over cap Hit points to 385-399, after disabling Elemental Precision. I recommend removing any Chain Lightning spell from your rotation now; otherwise your character will be the basic Threat generator in raids. For example, I am playing with this talent active (+3% Hit) and with 399 Hit points, just to test this ability, and on Heroic Training Dummy my character have no miss. Over capping Hit is not so critical waste anyway. I have seen an Elemental shaman with mixed Talent Tree, which placed only one point to Astral Shift, and that’s ugly as for me.
- Glyph of Lava;
- Glyph of Lightning Bolt;
- Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem.
- Glyph of Renewed Life;
- Glyph of Water Walking;
- Glyph of Water Shield.
GS under 6K
The solution of this paragraph is to show the basic and most important steps to get the best possible gear under 6kGS beginning from all green items from quest rewards and Outland areas (< 3kGS). I recommend you to read the paragraph 1.7 GearScore(GS) System before. If you are familiar with all paragraphs – I recommend you to vote on site during leveling and level up the most useful professions for elemental shaman. Through vote points and professions you will be able to get very good items which didn’t drop anymore, from bugged dungeons and raid bosses. This paragraph and all previous will help you to save a lot of Emblems, money and play time.
The process of gear leveling can be simplified a lot if you will craft or buy Legs and Feet items. First of all obtain Leggings of Dubious Charm for 300-600 gold coins from AH. After that you can collect money to obtain Lightning-Infused Leggings and Earthsoul Boots (average price is 18-22k gold coins on AH). With these legs and feet items you can go through 6kGS up to under BiS gear. The ele shaman’s biggest trouble, “in gear farming”, is weapon and shield. That items are really hard to obtain through dungeons and raiding. The vote points should help great here. You can obtain Sunreaver Disciple’s Blade (Normal only) for Vote Points (it’s hard to farm) and Wisdom’s Hold. The next big trouble, “in gear farming”, for any caster are trinkets. To find a common trinket is not so big deal, but to get some superb and eligible trinkets, for elemental shaman spec, can be the hardest task in gear leveling. Through vote points, the next available trinkets are just superb before ICC raiding: Flare of the Heavens, Living Flame, Abyssal Rune. If your gear have low hit rating then use Living Flame, if your character haste rating is low – use Abyssal Rune. The ICC reputation farming is a must. Try to participate in any specified groups. This will open to you access to the BiS ring for elemental shaman – Ashen Band of Endless Destruction. Another ring is easily obtainable through emblems, at the beginning. Complete daily random dungeons heroic and weekly raid quests to collect 90 Emblems of Frost. The emblems should be spent to obtain the best relic Bizuri’s Totem of Shattered Ice (30 emblems) and the belt Waistband of Despair (60 emblems) for a long term.
So let’s begin this collection slot by slot:
- Helm of Veiled Energies (ilvl 219) – XT-002 Deconstructor.
- Polished Mirror Helm (ilvl 219, +mp5) – Forgemaster Garfros.
- Helm of the Spirit Shock (ilvl 232) – Devourer of Souls.
- Helm of Inner Warmth (ilvl 245, +mp5, sold by 75 Emblems of Triumph).
- Helm of the Crypt Lord (Normal or ilvl 245 Heroic) – Anub’arak.
- Frost Witch’s Helm (ilvl 251, sold by 95 Emblems of Frost).
- Sanctified Frost Witch’s Helm (ilvl 264, sold by Protector’s Mark of Sanctification ).
- Amulet of Dazzling Light (ilvl 200 rare, +mp5) – Anomalus;
- Necklace of Taldaram (ilvl 200 rare, +hit) – Taldaram;
- Coil of Missing Gems (ilvl 219, +hit) – Devourer of Souls;
- Love’s Prisoner (ilvl 232, +mp5) – Bronjahm Heroic;
- Arcane Loops of Anger (ilvl 232) – Devourer of Souls Heroic;
- Darkbane Amulet (ilvl 232, +hit) – Eydis Darkbane ToC25;
- Cry of the Val’kyr (ilvl 258) – Eydis Darkbane ToC25 Heroic;
- Wrathful Gladiator’s Pendant of Ascendancy (ilvl 264 PVP, +hit) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA25;
- Soulcleave Pendant (ilvl 264) – Deathbringer’s Cache ICC10 Heroic/N;
- Pendant of Split Veins (ilvl 264, +hit) – Professor Putricide ICC10 Heroic/N;
- Amulet of the Silent Eulogy (ilvl 264, +hit) – Gunship Armory ICC25 Normal;
- Blood Queen’s Crimson Choker (ilvl 264) – Blood-Queen Lana’thel ICC25 Normal;
- Very Fashionable Shoulders (ilvl 232, +hit, [Cloth]) – Bronjahm FoS;
- Frayed Abomination Stitching Shoulders (ilvl 219, [Cloth]) – Marwyn HoR Normal;
- Pauldrons of the Spirit Walker (ilvl 232) – Icehowl ToC10;
- Pauldrons of Catastrophic Emanation (ilvl 245, +hit, sold by 45 Emblems of Triumph, [Cloth]);
- Shoulders of the Groundbreaker (ilvl 245, +mp5, sold by 45 Emblems of Triumph);
- Shoulders of Ruinous Senility (ilvl 264 Heroic, +hit, [Cloth]) – Professor Putricide ICC10 Heroic/N;
- Shoulderguards of Crystalline Bone (ilvl 264 Heroic) – Sindragosa ICC10 Heroic/N;
- Frost Witch’s Shoulderpads (ilvl 251, sold by 95 Emblems of Frost).
- Sanctified Frost Witch’s Shoulderpads (ilvl 264, sold by Protector’s Mark of Sanctification ).
- Shroud of Dedicated Research (ilvl 200 rare) – Kirin Tor Honored;
- Cloak of the Fallen Cardinal (ilvl 219, +mp5) – Scourgelord Tyrannus PoS Normal;
- Shroud of Displacement (ilvl 245, +hit) – Champions’ Cache ToC25 Heroic/Normal;
- Drape of the Violet Tower (ilvl 264, +mp5, sold by 50 Emblems of Frost);
- Volde’s Cloak of the Night Sky (ilvl 264, +Spirit, sold by 50 Emblems of Frost);
- Relentless Gladiator’s Cloak of Ascendancy (ilvl 245, +hit, PVP) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA10 or Honor Points;
- Wrathful Gladiator’s Cloak of Ascendancy (ilvl 264, +hit, PVP) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA25 or Honor Points;
- Lich Wrappings (ilvl 264, +hit) – Cache of the Dreamwalker ICC10 Heroic/Normal;
- Frostbinder’s Shredded Cape (ilvl 264) – Cache of the Dreamwalker ICC25 Normal;
- Dalronn’s Jerkin (ilvl 200 rare, +mp5) – Skarvald the Constructor Utgarde Keep;
- Shroud of Rime (ilvl 219, +mp5) – Scourgelord Tyrannus PoS Normal;
- Frost Witch’s Hauberk (ilvl 251, sold by 95 Emblems of Frost);
- Mail of the Geyser (ilvl 264, +mp5, sold by 95 Emblems of Frost);
- Chestguard of Siphoned Elements (ilvl 264, +mp5) – Blood-Queen Lana’thel ICC10 Heroic;
- Sanctified Frost Witch’s Hauberk (ilvl 264, sold by Protector’s Mark of Sanctification );
- Limb Regeneration Bracers (ilvl 200) – The Prophet Tharon’ja Drak’Tharon Keep;
- Seven Stormy Mornings (ilvl 219, +hit) – Bronjahm PoS Normal;
- Relentless Gladiator’s Wristguards of Dominance (ilvl 245, PVP) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA10;
- Wrathful Gladiator’s Wristguards of Dominance (ilvl 264, PVP) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA25;
- Ether-Soaked Bracers (ilvl 264, +hit, [Cloth]) – Rotface ICC10 Heroic/Normal;
- Bloodsunder’s Bracers (ilvl 264) – Rotface ICC25 Normal;
- The Lady’s Brittle Bracers (ilvl 264, +hit, [Cloth]) – Lady Deathwhisper ICC25 Normal;
- Grips of Fierce Pronouncements (ilvl 200, +mp5) – The Wyrmrest Accord – Exalted;
- Fiery Obelisk Handguards (ilvl 200) – Herald Volazj Ahn’kahet;
- Cold Sweat Grips (ilvl 219, +hit, [Cloth]) – Bronjahm FoS Normal;
- Mitts of Burning Hail (ilvl 219, +hit) – Marwyn HoR Normal;
- Thrall’s Gloves of Conquest (ilvl 232, +hit) – Koralon the Flame Watcher VoA10;
- Frost Witch’s Gloves (ilvl 251, +hit, sold by 60 Emblems of Frost) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA10;
- Thrall’s Gloves of Triumph (ilvl 245, +hit) – Koralon the Flame Watcher VoA25;
- Stormbringer Gloves (ilvl 264) – Cache of the Dreamwalker ICC10 Heroic/Normal;
- Gunship Captain’s Mittens (ilvl 264, +hit, [Cloth]) – Gunship Armory ICC25 Normal;
- Sanctified Frost Witch’s Gloves (ilvl 264, +hit, sold by Protector’s Mark of Sanctification ) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA25;
- Girdle of the Ethereal (ilvl 200 rare) – Xevozz Violet Hold;
- Ghostflicker Waistband (ilvl 200, [Leather]) – Kirin Tor – Exalted;
- Belt of Dark Mending (ilvl 200, [Cloth]) – Knights of the Ebon Blade – Exalted;
- Mail Girdle of the Audient Earth (ilvl 200, +mp5) – Loken Halls of Lightning;
- Essence of Anger (ilvl 219, +hit) – Devourer of Souls FoS Normal;
- Icehowl Binding (ilvl 232, +hit, [Cloth]) – Icehowl ToC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Belt of the Blood Nova (ilvl 264, +mp5) – Deathbringer’s Cache ICC25 Normal;
- Waistband of Despair (ilvl 264, sold by 60 Emblems of Frost);
- Kilt of Dark Mercy (ilvl 200, +mp5) – Knights of the Ebon Blade – Exalted;
- Black Dragonskin Breeches (ilvl 219, +mp5) – Ick PoS Normal;
- Blackened Ghoul Skin Leggings (ilvl 232, +mp5) – Ick PoS Heroic;
- Legguards of Untimely Demise (ilvl 219, +hit) – The Captain’s Chest HoR Normal;
- Thrall’s Kilt of Conquest (ilvl 232, +hit) – Koralon the Flame Watcher VoA10;
- Frost Witch’s Kilt (ilvl 251, +hit) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA10;
- Thrall’s Kilt of Conquest (ilvl 245, +hit) – Koralon the Flame Watcher VoA25;
- Leggings of Dubious Charms (ilvl 264, +mp5, crafting or AH ~ 300-1,000 gold coins);
- Rippling Flesh Kilt (ilvl 264) – Professor Putricide ICC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Plaguebringer’s Stained Pants (ilvl 264, +hit, [Cloth]) – Festergut ICC25 Normal;
- Sanctified Frost Witch’s Kilt (ilvl 264, +hit, sold by Protector’s Mark of Sanctification ) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA25;
- Lightning-Infused Leggings (ilvl 264, crafting or AH ~ 20,000-25,000 gold coins);
- Sandals of Crimson Fury (ilvl 200) – The Wyrmrest Accord – Exalted;
- Soul Screaming Boots (ilvl 219, +mp5) – Devourer of Souls FoS Normal;
- Mudslide Boots (ilvl 232) – Scourgelord Tyrannus PoS Heroic;
- Sunreaver Magus’ Sandals (ilvl 245, +hit, [Cloth]) – Champions’ Cache ToC25 Normal/Heroic;
- Sabatons of Tremoring Earth (ilvl 258) – Champions’ Cache ToC25 Normal/Heroic;
- Plague Scientist’s Boots (ilvl 264) – Festergut ICC25 Normal;
- Earthsoul Boots (ilvl 264, crafting or AH ~ 20,000-25,000 gold coins);
- The Prospector’s Prize (ilvl 200 rare) – Krystallus Halls of Stone Heroic;
- Ring of the Frenzied Wolvar (ilvl 200 rare) – Gortok Palehoof Utgarde Pinnacle;
- Annhylde’s Ring (ilvl 200) – Ingvar Utgarde Keep Heroic;
- Signet of Hopeful Light (ilvl 200) – Argent Crusade – Exalted;
- Heartmender Circle (ilvl 245, sold by 35 Emblem of Triumph);
- Firestorm Band (ilvl 232, +hit) – Lord Jaraxxus ToC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Wrathful Gladiator’s Band of Dominance (ilvl 264, PVP, sold by Honor Points) – Toravon the Ice Watcher VoA25;
- Cerise Coiled Ring (ilvl 264) – Prince Valanar ICC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Ring of Rapid Ascent (ilvl 264) – Gunship Armor ICC25 Normal;
- Valanar’s Other Signet Ring (ilvl 264, +hit) – Prince Valanar ICC25 Normal;
- Loop of the Endless Labyrinth (ilvl 264, +hit) – Lord Marrowgar ICC25 Normal;
- Ashen Band of Endless Destruction (ilvl 277, +hit) – The Ashen Verdict – Exalted;
- Mark of the War Prisoner (ilvl 200 rare) – Cyanigosa Violet Hold;
- Forge Ember (ilvl 200 rare) – Sjonnir The Ironshaper Halls of Stone;
- Winged Talisman (ilvl 200 rare, +mp5) – Ionar Halls of Lightning;
- Talisman of Resurgence (ilvl 245, sold by 50 Emblem of Triumph);
- Shard of the Crystal Heart (ilvl 245, +hit, sold by 50 Emblem of Triumph);
- Nevermelting Ice Crystal (ilvl 232) – Scourgelord Tyrannus PoS Heroic;
- Flare of the Heavens(ilvl 239, 59 Vote Points – only way) – General Vezax Ulduar;
- Living Flame (ilvl 226, +hit, 55 Vote Points) – Razorscale Ulduar10;
- Abyssal Rune (ilvl 226, 72 Vote Points – only way) – Eadric’s Cache Ulduar;
- Maghia’s Misguided Quill (ilvl 264, sold by 60 Emblem of Frost);
- Reign of the Dead(ilvl 258, +DoT) – Anub’arak ToC25 Normal/Heroic;
- Muradin’s Spyglass (ilvl 264) – Gunship Armory ICC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Dislodged Foreign Object (ilvl 264) – Rotface ICC25 Normal;
- Phylactery of the Nameless Lich (ilvl 264) – Sindragosa ICC25 Normal;
- Flameheart Spell Scalpel (ilvl 200 rare, +hit, [Dagger]) – Kirin Tor – Revered;
- Gavel of the Brewing Storml (ilvl 200 rare, [Mace]) – The Wyrmrest Accord – Revered;
- War Mace of Unrequited Love (ilvl 200, +mp5, [Mace]) – Keristrasza Nexus;
- Netherbreath Spellblade (ilvl 200 rare, +Spirit, [Dagger]) – Skadi Utgarde Pinnacle;
- Surgeon’s Needle (ilvl 232, +mp5, [Dagger]) – Forgemaster Garfrost PoS Heroic;
- Chilled Heart of the Glacier (ilvl 219, +hit, [Dagger]) – The Captain’s Chest HoR Normal;
- Bone Golem Scapula (ilvl 219, +mp5, [Mace]) – The Captain’s Chest HoR Normal;
- Barb of Tarasque (ilvl 245, +hit, [Dagger]) – Icehowl ToC25 Normal/Heroic;
- Sunreaver Disciple’s Blade (ilvl 245, sold by 73 Vote Points – normal only, [Dagger]) – Champion’s Cache ToC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Hammer of Purified Flame (ilvl 251, quest chain, [Mace]);
- Midnight Sun (ilvl 264, +mp5, [Dagger]) – Gunship Armory ICC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Bleak Coldarra Carver (ilvl 264, +hit, [Dagger]) – Sindragosa ICC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Frozen Bonespike (ilvl 264, +Spirit, [Dagger]) – Lord Marrowgar ICC25 Normal;
- Tel’thas, Dagger of the Blood King (ilvl 271, [Dagger]) – The Lich King ICC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Royal Scepter of Terenas II (ilvl 271, [Mace]) – The Lich King ICC25 Normal;
- Facade Shield of Glyphs (ilvl 200 rare, +mp5) – Krik’thir Azjol-Nerub;
- Protector of Frigid Souls (ilvl 219, +mp5) – Scourgelord Tyrannus PoS Normal;
- Wisdom’s Hold (ilvl 239, 71 Vote Points – only way) – Cache of Storms Ulduar;
- Lost Pavise of the Blue Flight (ilvl 264, +mp5) – Sindragosa ICC10 Normal/Heroic;
- Bastion of Resolve (ilvl 258) – Champions’ Cache ToC25 Normal/Heroic;
- Bulwark of Smouldering Steel (ilvl 264) – Lord Marrowgar ICC25 Normal;
- Totem of Electrifying Wind (ilvl 245, sold by 25 Emblem of Triumph);
- Bizuri’s Totem of Shattered Ice (ilvl 264, sold by 30 Emblem of Frost);
The largest factor that determines how your best in slot template looks, under 6kGS, comes down to whether you have access to twenty five man raiding or only to ten mode raids. Above was posted links to the items from both raid categories. It’s clear that ten man raid guilds are more popular, because it’s easier to create them, even prepared for Heroic mode. There is a vast difference between the gear available to twenty five man raiders in comparison with ten man players. For some item categories, you’re going to find yourself very limited in choice. The prime example of this, for casters, is in regards to trinkets. Below are described the most balanced gear set under 6kGS for 10 and 25 man raids respectively.
GS Over 6K
The GS over 6k requires the same items as was described for 25 players raids in section above, at the beginning, but the items should be Heroic ilvl271-277 or better. This is the point where farming of RS 25 Normal periodically is a must. This farming is equal to VOA25, but with improved items ilvl 271. You should be interested in the next stuff:
- Bracers of Fiery Night.
- Charred Twilight Scale.
- Cloak of Burning Dusk.
- Split Shape Belt.
Tip. The specified gear has different socket combinations and Hit rating. To make item farming more balanced for DPS I recommend to keep the Maghia’s trinket active, otherwise you will replace dozens of Rigid King’s Amber gems after each loot, just to balance character’s Hit points. Any ICC 25HC item is better than RS 25N, but if you will be able to loot some RS stuff – then get it.
The Item Level 277 versions are upgraded from the 264 versions, with a Protector’s Mark of Sanctification (heroic). Begin such upgrading from Head and Shoulder slots, then try Hands and Legs slots, just to stack Hit points. This will give the possibility to replace the Maghia’s trinket to some DPS trinket.
The main difference compared to 6kGS stuff in such progression is Waist and Legs items. Really, Lightning-Infused Leggings should be replaced by Sanctified Frost Witch’s Kilt (heroic) or Plaguebringer’s Stained Pants (heroic, if you are allowed to loot) and Waistband of Despair – by Split Shape Belt (normal) at last. All RS gear is normal here, because ICC 25HC bosses are much easy to defeat than Halion 25HC. The Halion Heroic is hard as the LK Heroic, but for new guild or bad organized is a bit harder even and he is not a easy farming boss. I think RS 25 Heroic is a “pre-Cataclysm” raid.
Elemental Shaman BiS Gear
Under BiS gear level stats priority changes
The elemental shaman BiS gear gives to us the possibility to stack and balance Haste Rating and Critical Rating only, because Hit points are near cap (370 – 380) and Spell Power is maximal from each item. The process of Haste and Critical Rating balancing mostly depends by gear type and available types of sockets on it (red, yellow and blue). At the specified point elemental shaman’s Haste Rating is near cap (1100 points), which tune our Lava casting to 1 sec, CL to 1.1 sec and LB to 1.3 sec (after Totem Relic procs to 5 stacks). During Blood Lust all described spells casting time are less than 1 sec = GCD, so it’s not necessary to stack more Haste points. At this point we can stack only Critical Rating as the much useful stat for higher DPS. The BiS gear set listed below have all described parameters and I found she provide the best in return of DPS:
1. Head. Sanctified Frost Witch’s Helm.
2. Neck. Amulet of the Silent Eulogy.
3. Shoulder. Sanctified Frost Witch’s Shoulderpads.
4. Cloak. Cloak of Burning Dusk.
5. Chest. Sanctified Frost Witch’s Hauberk.
6. Wrist. Bracers of Fiery Night.
7. Weapon. Royal Scepter of Terenas II.
8. Shield. Bulwark of Smouldering Steel.
9. Hands. Sanctified Frost Witch’s Gloves.
10. Waist. Split Shape Belt.
11. Legs. Sanctified Frost Witch’s Kilt.
12. Feet. Plague Scientist’s Boots.
13. Ring1. Ashen Band of Endless Destruction.
14. Ring2. Loop of the Endless Labyrinth.
15. Trinket1. Charred Twilight Scale.
16. Trinket2. Phylactery of the Nameless Lich.
17. Relic. Bizuri’s Totem of Shattered Ice.
Tip. A lot of players think that Ring of Rapid Ascent and Blood Queen’s Crimson Choker are the best for any casters, but I should to admit they are wrong a bit. That items have practically the same performance as other rings and amulets from ICC HC, moreover, for some classes they are worse, because didn’t give the possibility to balance some item combinations, especially for ele shamans and moonkin classes. It’s possible to run with Plaguebringer’s Stained Pants, but “Regalia’s Kilt” have more points in Hit, Spell Power and Critical Rating, which our character need so much at BiS level.
The “Stained Pants” looks “delicious”, but I don’t think they are so “nutritiously” for elemental shamans. I agree, for Mages, Locks and Shadow Priests they are BiS without a doubt. Let’s compare them deeply. Both have 139 Stamina and Intellect, but the “Kilt” receives more 1026 armor from mail, which grants more points to “Effective Stamina”. The “Stained Pants” fully stacked with 3x Runed Cardinal Rubies can stack addition 17 Spell Power (SP = 185 + 3×23 = 185 + 69 = 254 …not so huge advantage) compared to “Kilt” with summary of 237 Spell Power (SP = 195 + 23 + 12 + 7(bonus) = 237). The “Kilt” have addition 2 hit points, but with Veiled Ametrine gem socketed (as he should be socketed), he stacks on 12 Hit points more than “Pants” – it’s enough to turn shamans overall Hit rating into “Soft Cap Range” of 371 points in BiS gear. The third gear attribute is completely different on each item: the “Pants” have 116 Haste (3.54% @L80), the “Kilt” have 122 Crit (2.66% @L80). The last attribute make difficulties for choosing among both, if a player hasn’t strong knowledge about character Talent tree, Glyphs and spells. With “Kilt” equipped the “soft capped” hit rating of 371 (14.14%) can be easily turned into “hard cap” (17%) range with raid buffs (dudu’s, shadow priest’s +3%), the “soft capped” haste rating (34%) of 1104 can be easily turned into “low hard cap” range (1320) after “Bizuri’s” totem buff stacks to 5, but critical rating of 50% remains far away from “hard capped” range. With “Pants” equipped we only can increase “overcapped” Haste rating to 1220 (which will be “eaten” by GCD barrier during the cast period) by losing about 2.66% Crit Rating (47% total)! Moreover, elemental shamans have a lot of haste improvement abilities like Elemental Mastery, Engineering Gloves, Wrath of Air Totem and Blood Lust, which can turn the Lava Burst cast time under 1 sec (GCD), the Chain Lightning near 1 sec and the Lightning Bolt between 1 – 1.2 sec during the encounter! Now look at shaman’s spell rotation and analyze Elemental Talent Tree. It contains 2 Lava and 12 LB spells per casted FS. If the “Kilt” is equipped the character can stack 50% Crit chance with minimum 8 “critical” spells in the rotation, because each second LB will crit opposite addition 116 haste will not let you to cast addition LB. Also half of FS DoT ticks will do critical damage and this is enormous, because second Lava will increase the working period. Other very important talent, which increases DPS value greatly, is the Lightning Overload as a result will be instantly casted a LB/CL spell (with no mana or threat cost) with 50% damage once per 3-4 LB/CL spells. Just keep in mind that only Critical Rating (no Haste) can improve [Lightning Overload] talent, because auto casted spells can crit. Just notice the Glyph of Lightning Bolt (+4% dmg) and the meta gem Chaotic Skyflare Diamond (+3% dmg only to when spell crit!) – in “other words” the LB normal damage is increased by 4%, after the LB will crit for addition 50% bonus, will proc the Elemental Fury talent, which will increase the crit bonus damage for 100% and summary result will be improved by addition gem buff of 3% damage!
My Verdict. For BiS gear the Sanctified Frost Witch’s Kilt is better than Plaguebringer’s Stained Pants.
In the ICC HC we have next similar rings for casters:
- Loop of the Endless Labyrinth
- Ring of Rapid Ascent
- Valanar’s Other Signet Ring
All described rings have the same Stamina, Intellect, blue socket and Spell Power attributes. Among them only “Loop” have more Hit (50) and Crit (73) points, which shamans need so much. The “Valanar’s” ring is stacked with 78 Haste points (very well). Only “Rapid Ascent” ring is stacked with 68 Crit and 60 Haste points. I think “Rapid Ascent” ring can be valuable for draenei shamans (+1% to Hit) and other caster classes, like mages, priests. For none draenei shamans this ring provides lesser performance then other two. The “Loop” and “Valanar’s” rings have practically the same performance to DPS and you can loot or roll for one of them who will drop first. Their attributes provides just a “castling” into stats, without any summary changes. In general “Loop” is more preferred, because 50 Hit points is uncomfortably to compensate through gems.
In the ICC HC we have next similar amulets for casters:
- Amulet of the Silent Eulogy
- Blood Queen’s Crimson Choker
All described amulets have the same Stamina, Intellect and Spell Power attributes. If “Queen’s” amulet to stack with a Runed Cardinal Ruby or Rigid King’s Amber he will show near the same performance as the“Eulogy” amulet have (tested on private server). The minus of the “Queen’s” neck is a blue socket! The “Eulogy” amulet is more preferred for elemental shamans, because 60 Hit points is equal to 3 Rigid King’s Amber (against 3 Reckless Ametrine = 36 Spell Power and 30 Haste Rating). The amulet’s yellow socket is just designed for one Reckles Ametrine gem, which will grant addition 5 Spell Power bonus.
Important. Always try to stack Hit points from gear attributes than from enchants or gems! This will give better hit value in return, without lossless in Haste Rating and Spell Power.